Kantaicon Cosplay Contest 2016 Rules
- Cosplay Registration will take place from 3-5pm.
- Cosplay Judging will take place from 3-5pm.
- The Cosplay Contest will take place from 6-7.
We are accepting craftsmanship and exhibition walk-ons in the Cosplay Contest. If you want your costume to be judged on how well it was made, you will want to enter craftsmanship judging. If you didn’t make your costume, or it is ineligible for judging, you can still walk across the stage as an exhibition walk-on. All entries must register at the registration table. If you are getting your costume judged, you will also sign up for a judging time. We will not be accepting skit entries this year.
During your judging session, you will tell the judges how you made your costume. Groups of 1-2 will get 5 minutes, while groups of 3-4 will get 10 minutes. We cannot judge groups larger than 4 for craftsmanship. Please bring a reference photo of your character, regardless of how popular the character is. Printed images are strongly preferred. Progress photos are also highly encouraged. Proving that you made your costume yourself is as important as having a good costume.
- Western and Eastern costumes are both allowed, as long as the costume artwork is official. Original designs, including Pokemon gijinkas, unofficial genderbends, etc. are not allowed to be judged for craftsmanship.
- At least (50% Beginner, 75% Advanced) of the costume had to be made from scratch by the creator. Commissioned costumes and thrifted costumes are not eligible to be judged for craftsmanship. If someone assisted in making a large portion of the costume, they must be present for judging.
- A costume that has won a major award is not eligible for craftsmanship judging, regardless of the division, or the size of the convention. If the costume was remade, at least 75% of the costume must have been remade after the award was received. A major award includes any 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place awards. A costume that has won 2 or more minor awards is also not eligible. This includes Honorable Mentions and Judge’s Awards.
- Only one craftsmanship entry is allowed per person. If you made multiple costumes for multiple people, they have to enter as a group.
- Exhibition- Non-competing. Choose this division if you did not make your costume, if it does not meet the requirements, or if you just want to show it off on stage and not have it judged. Skits may not enter this division.
- Beginner- 0-1 major awards, up to 3 minor awards. Enter this division if you have little to moderate experience with costuming.
- Advanced- 2+ major awards, up to 6 minor awards. Enter this division if you have moderate to advanced experience with costuming.
- Masters- If you normally enter Masters at other conventions, let Cosplay Staff know so they can place you in Masters if Masters is available. Cosplay Staff will determine if Masters will be available each year on a case by case basis.
- Cosplay Staff reserves the right to bump a competitor into a higher division based on experience or previous awards.
- Enter in the level of the highest person in your group.
If you have any other questions, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!